What to look for when buying a second-hand electric bike?
Buying a second-hand electric bike can be a great way to save money while still enjoying the benefits of pedal assistance while cycling. However, it's important to pay attention to certain aspects to ensure that you are buying a reliable and quality second-hand bike. Here's a list:
- Battery Condition: The battery is one of the most important parts of an electric bike. Always check the condition of the battery. Ask about the age of the battery and how many kilometers it has covered. A good electric bike battery should last about 40,000 kilometers. Also, check if the battery still charges well and if there is no excessive wear.
- Maintenance History: Always inquire about the bike's maintenance history. Has the bike been regularly serviced? Have any important parts been replaced or repaired recently? A well-maintained bike is generally more reliable and lasts longer.
- Frame and Overall Condition: Thoroughly inspect the bike's frame for any damage. Also, make sure the frame size is right for you. Check the condition of the brakes, gears, and tires. Look for signs of excessive wear or rust.
- Test Ride: Always take a test ride before buying a second-hand electric bike or speed pedelec. Test the bike at different speeds and terrains to check if everything functions properly. Pay attention to comfort and riding experience. Interested in one of our bikes? Schedule a test ride here.
What is the cost of a second-hand bikes?
The cost of a second-hand bike depends on various factors and can vary greatly. The main factors that impact the price are:
- Brand and Model: The brand and model of the bike play a major role in determining the cost. Bikes from well-known brands known for their quality and durability can generally have a higher price, even when second-hand. Consider brands like Stromer and Riese & Müller.
- Age and Usage: Generally, older bikes are priced lower than more recent models. Bikes with low mileage and limited signs of wear may also command a higher price than those that are heavily used.
- Maintenance and Condition: The condition of the bike and the maintenance it has undergone affect the price of a second-hand electric bike. A well-maintained bike with regular servicing and replaced parts can justify a higher price. Conversely, a bike with a lot of wear, defects, or in need of repairs may be priced lower, as costs will be incurred to make the bike roadworthy.
- Extra Accessories: A bike equipped with extra accessories will also cost more compared to the same model without accessories. Consider an electric cargo bike equipped with a child cover and seats. It's important to assess whether these extras justify the asking price based on your own needs.
Is there any warranty on a second-hand bike?
Yes, every second-hand bike we sell comes with a 1-year warranty. All bikes are made roadworthy and receive thorough maintenance before we sell them.
Cyclobility's Circular Bike Project
More and more people are leaving the car behind and consciously choosing sustainable mobility in the form of a (electric) bike for their daily commute. We at Cyclobility are happy to see this happen! A lot of new bikes are being leased or purchased, but at the same time, many bikes are being written off. Bikes that can still be perfectly used, provided they receive a little love. Discover everything about Cyclobility's circular bike project in this article.
Wat does Cyclobility do?
At Cyclobility, we offer efficient solutions for commuting by selling and leasing high-quality (electric) bikes with all possible services. In addition to commuters, we also focus on sporty cyclists looking for a high-quality racing bike or mountain bike. For Cyclobility, the quality of our products and services is of great importance. We aim for 100% satisfaction and choose partners who operate in a sustainable, economically, and socially responsible manner. Our Circular Bike Project fits seamlessly with this.
What is Cyclobility's Circular Bike Project?
Flashback to 2016. From the first day Cyclobility existed, we gave bikes at the end of lease contracts or early terminations a second life. These bikes are first carefully inspected by our own technicians and receive extensive maintenance. Then, these bikes appear on our website and are sold in our bike shops. The buyer can always come to us for maintenance or repair and gets an extra year of warranty on top.
How do we work?
- When early terminations or end of lease contracts occur, the bikes are returned to Cyclobility (unless the user wishes to keep the bike).
- With our mobile service buses, we pick up the bikes and then bring them to our workshop. People can also deliver bikes themselves to one of our bike shops.
- In our workshop, our technicians work to give the bikes a second life. They undergo thorough inspection and parts are replaced if necessary.
- The bikes are then reoffered for sale in our shops and on our webshop. This is done at a reduced price and with a warranty.